As you can see from my workout log, I love spinning! I actually fell in love with it BEFORE I really fell in love with running. The thing is, I was always nervous to try spinning. I saw how the cyclists at the gym were getting there early, and so enthusiastic about it. You’d think that would make me feel better but it actually made me even more hesitant. A few thoughts before I tried it:
I don’t want to be the newbie!
What if I can’t do it? I hate to fail at things.
What if I can’t keep up?
Knowing me I’ll fall off the bike.
Many people may have felt or do still feel the same way, but I want to explain that it’s really something worth trying! I promise it’s not as scary as it may seem.
Positives of Spin:
- Everyone’s there for the same reason.
Don’t be worried about if you’ll look like a fool or look silly because everyone is there to get a killer workout and seriously sweat!
- You’re in control.
Usually the instructor gives you pointers on what resistance to use and what not however, if you want to just pedal at your own pace with your own resistance, no one can stop you! Listening to your body is very important and in this class you can do whatever your body allows.
- You work your entire body.
Quads? Check. Hamstrings? Check. Glutes? Check. Claves? Check. Abs? Check. Arms? Check.
Yes, it is mostly your legs however, if you contract your abs the entire ride, you’re getting an ab workout without even knowing it! As for your arms, it’s not an intense arm workout but you still use your arms when you’re going into different positions so it works them a little bit.
- It’s FUN.
The first time you try it, like any other type of exercise it can have one of two effects. You can love it, or hate it. Yes, cycling is usually challenging but that’s the fun part about it! Usually you’re in a dark room, with great music blasting and other people that are so hyped up to get their spin on that it’ll be over before you know it. During the class you are constantly changing positions, resistances, and speeds, so you get a little bit of everything without getting bored.
- It’s the perfect way to cross-train.
No matter what your exercise goals are, it’s important to switch up your routine. Cycling is a great way to change it up and can give you that endurance
TIPS for Beginners:
- Get there early.
Arriving early will allow you to reserve a bike, and have time to ask the instructor to help you out with setup. Make sure to tell them you’re new and would like to know what to expect.
- Bring water.
Just like every exercise, you need to make sure to hydrate your muscles and your body. I find myself sweating the most during spin class and I am constantly chugging water like it’s a contest.
- Bring a towel.
Just trust me. If you sweat like Chewbacca like I do, you’ll need it.
- Don’t be afraid of resistance.
Many people think that if they bump up the resistance, they’ll get really thick, bulky legs. I promise you, it’s the total opposite! Your legs will just get super toned!
You could end up like this guy. Just kidding! That’s actually a little scary…
– If you find that you love spinning, invest in spin shoes! They can be a little pricey (usually around $100) but if you like to go a lot, it’s worth the investment. They make a HUGE difference. You can actually feel the difference, and can really utilize your upstroke.
– Challenge yourself! Once you get the hang of it, up your intensity & resistance. Doing so will just enhance your ride and endurance every time. Before you know it, the hardest resistance, speed, and whatever else will be a piece of cake!
Heck, you could become the next Lance Armstrong. Just don’t forget about me
– Focus on your cadence. In other words, the number of pedal strokes you do in one minute. A lot of cycling bikes have a screen that shows you what it is. The instructor may use this and tell you what cadence you should strive for at different resistances. Obviously, higher resistance = lower cadence, and lower resistance = higher cadence. This is a really great way to push yourself and build your aerobic fitness.
Hopefully I was somewhat of a help! If you have any questions feel free to ask, I’d be more than happy to chat!
Hope everyone has a great rest of the day.
Don’t forget to enter the best giveaway ever over at Katie’s Blog! Seriously, you won’t want to miss out